Openings at ME
PhD position on in-vehicle health monitoring in EU project ArchitectECA2030Opening for: PhD student
|Announced:||18 Apr 2020|
|Closing date:||17 May 2020|
We are seeking a highly motivated candidate who are interested in joining our multi-disciplinary research team to conduct this university-company collaboration project. The specific desired background is experienced on the above mentioned topics, and an MSc degree on Electronics, Mechanics, Materials science or a related area. We are looking for candidates with a great passion for research, a strong drive for scientific excellence, independent work attitude, and great English communication skills (TOEFL > 100 or equivalent). The scientific qualities of the candidate should be demonstrated by excellent MSc grades and preferably also publications.
If you want to apply for one of the positions please send both your CV and a one-page motivation letter to the contact below.
prof.dr.ir. Willem van Driel
Electronic Components, Technology and Materials Group
Department of Microelectronics
Additional informationIn The Netherlands, almost all PhD positions are linked to funded research projects. This has several implications:
- PhD students are employed: they receive a salary rather than a grant. Most projects have a duration of 4 years.
- Positions become available once a project is funded. This can happen at any time during the year.
- It typically takes 6 to 9 months for a project proposal to receive funding. In this period, a position may be anticipated but the outcome remains insecure. Once a project is funded, the open position needs to be filled as soon as possible.
If you are interested in our research, it merits to inquire whether openings will be available. We collect resumes of prospective PhD students throughout the year, for each of our research tracks.
General requirementsWe make our selection based on the following general requirements:
- Formal requirements regarding prior education: you should have earned an MSc degree at a recognized institute for higher education.
- Background: you should have a background that fits the requirements of the project
- Excellence: your Grade-Point-Average should be above 8 (10). Also your MSc thesis should have received a grade above 8 (10).
- English: you should be able to communicate well in english (written and oral). Provide TOEFL/IELTS scores if available.
- Originality: your MSc thesis or later work (publications) should reflect some original ideas. Critical and independent thinking is very important.
- Team player: you should be able to work well in a team of other project members.