Openings at ME
High efficiency DC-DC converters in GaN technology with smart gate driverOpening for: PhD student
|Announced:||19 Dec 2022|
|Closing date:||17 Feb 2023|
GaN is one of the most promising semiconductor material in power electronics, due to its low Ron and low parasitic capacitance compared to its silicon counterparts. Thanks to these features, GaN inverters can offer very high power density, reducing the footprint and system costs. In this project, we will develop GaN DC-DC converters for data centers, where a high conversion ratio is often expected. Smart gate driver to minimize deadtime, and to increase efficiency will be developed. New topologies will be developed.
The candidate should have very good analog integrated circuit design background. Knowledge on switched mode power converter is not a must, but is highly appreciated.
The candidate should be highly self-motivated.
The candidate should be a team player.
Please send your CV to email@example.com and a short text why you are applying for this position and why you are the right candidate for this position.
dr.ir. Qinwen Fan
Electronic Components, Technology and Materials Group
Department of Microelectronics
Additional informationIn The Netherlands, almost all PhD positions are linked to funded research projects. This has several implications:
- PhD students are employed: they receive a salary rather than a grant. Most projects have a duration of 4 years.
- Positions become available once a project is funded. This can happen at any time during the year.
- It typically takes 6 to 9 months for a project proposal to receive funding. In this period, a position may be anticipated but the outcome remains insecure. Once a project is funded, the open position needs to be filled as soon as possible.
If you are interested in our research, it merits to inquire whether openings will be available. We collect resumes of prospective PhD students throughout the year, for each of our research tracks.
General requirementsWe make our selection based on the following general requirements:
- Formal requirements regarding prior education: you should have earned an MSc degree at a recognized institute for higher education.
- Background: you should have a background that fits the requirements of the project
- Excellence: your Grade-Point-Average should be above 8 (10). Also your MSc thesis should have received a grade above 8 (10).
- English: you should be able to communicate well in english (written and oral). Provide TOEFL/IELTS scores if available.
- Originality: your MSc thesis or later work (publications) should reflect some original ideas. Critical and independent thinking is very important.
- Team player: you should be able to work well in a team of other project members.